Bruin’s Plumbing & Heating, Ltd., knows the plumbing system is a delicate balance – one small problem can cause a cascade of issues. That’s why monitoring and maintaining your plumbing system each spring is essential.
We want to help our customers in Sylvan Lake, AB, keep their homes in order this season. So, let’s discuss the five most common plumbing problems to keep track of this spring. If you notice any of these issues in your home, contact our plumbers in Lacombe, Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, AB, and surrounding areas for assistance!
April Showers: Leaky Roofs?
April showers may bring flowers but can also bring unexpected plumbing challenges, including leaky roofs. With the unpredictable weather patterns in Sylvan Lake, AB, it’s crucial to keep an eye on your roof’s condition. Here are some signs to watch out for:
- Dripping Ceilings: If you notice water stains or dripping from your ceiling, it’s a clear indication of a roof leak.
- Mold and Mildew: Excessive moisture can lead to mold and mildew growth, which can be harmful to your health.
- Damaged Shingles: Check your roof for damaged or missing shingles, as they can be a primary entry point for water.
Garden Troubles: Clogged Drains
As you prepare your garden for spring planting, your plumbing may face its own set of challenges. Clogged drains can disrupt your outdoor activities and lead to unpleasant odors. Here’s how to deal with garden-related plumbing issues:
- Root Intrusion: Tree roots can infiltrate your sewer lines, causing blockages. Consider professional inspections to prevent this.
- Excess Debris: Ensure your gutters and outdoor drains are free of leaves and debris to prevent clogs.
- Proper Disposal: Dispose of cooking oils and fats in a designated container rather than pouring them down the drain, as they can solidify and cause blockages.
Sneezing & Dripping: Allergies or Plumbing?
Spring is notorious for allergies, but what if your sneezing and dripping faucets aren’t solely due to pollen? Plumbing issues in Sylvan Lake, Lacombe, Red Deer, AB, and surrounding areas can exacerbate allergy symptoms. Keep an eye on these potential culprits:
- Hidden Leaks: Leaky pipes can create a breeding ground for mold, worsening allergy symptoms.
- Humidity Control: High indoor humidity can trigger allergies. Ensure your home’s humidity levels are balanced.
- Regular Maintenance: Schedule a plumbing check-up to catch and fix any leaks or drips that might be affecting your indoor air quality.
Sump Pump Spring Maintenance
Your sump pump, often a forgotten hero in your home’s defense against flooding, deserves some attention as well. Spring is the perfect time to ensure it’s ready to tackle any unexpected downpours:
- Test Your Pump: Pour water into the sump pit to check if the pump activates and efficiently removes the water.
- Clean the Pit: Remove any debris, dirt, or sediment that might hinder the pump’s performance.
- Battery Backup: Consider installing a battery backup system to keep your sump pump running during power outages.
The Thawing Freeze: Burst Pipes
The thawing of frozen pipes can be a springtime nightmare. If your pipes have been exposed to winter’s icy grip, they may be at risk of bursting as temperatures rise. Here’s what to watch out for:
- Visible Cracks: Inspect exposed pipes for visible cracks, as these are obvious signs of potential bursting.
- Low Water Pressure: Reduced water pressure can be an early indication of pipe damage.
- Strange Sounds: Gurgling or banging noises when you use water fixtures can be a warning sign of pressure buildup.
Be Proactive for a Trouble-Free Spring
Bruin’s Plumbing & Heating, Ltd. wants to ensure your home is safe and sound this spring. Whether you need your roof repaired, clogged drains fixed, sump pumps maintained, or pipes inspected, our experienced professionals are here to help. With our customized services, you’re sure to get the most out of this beautiful spring season.